The highlights of 2006:
In the "Language is weird" category:
- Panspermia is the idea that life on Earth originated on another planet.
- The medical name for the part of the brain associated with teenage sulking is "superior temporal sulcus".
- The clitoris derives its name from the ancient Greek word kleitoris, meaning "little hill".
- Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobiacs is the term for people who fear the number 666.
In the "Faith in My Government" category:
- US Secret Service sniffer dogs are put up in five-star hotels during overseas presidential visits.
- In the 1960s, the CIA used to watch Mission Impossible to get ideas about spying.
- George W. Bush's personal highlight of his presidency is catching a 7.5lb (3.4kg) perch.
In the "Useless Trivia" category:
- The lion costume in the film Wizard of Oz was made from real lions.
- Sex workers in Roman times charged the equivalent price of eight glasses of red wine.
- Cows can have regional accents, says a professor of phonetics, after studying cattle in Somerset.
- The Himalayas cover one-tenth of the Earth's surface.
- In Bhutan, government policy is based on Gross National Happiness; thus most street advertising is banned, as are tobacco and plastic bags.